Wednesday 23 March 2011

Edale Skyline - Tourist Mode

Spring has arrived!  After a miserable February, March has more than made up for it.  I managed to get a few days away up in Edale.  My youngest daughter Polly has been doing some work experience at the Chestnut Centre near Chapel en le Frith and staying at Edale Youth Hostel.   So, having a few days off, I took the opportunity to go and see her and get some training in by running the route of the Edale Skyline race, which takes place this coming Sunday (27th March).  This is about 21 miles (34km) long with 4,500 feet (1,500 m) of ascent.  As its name suggests it follows the skyline of the Edale valley taking in moorland, ridges and bogs.  I ran a slightly modified route by starting at the youth hostel and hacking my way through the heather up to the path along the edge of Kinder Scout, rather than starting at Edale.  

Southern Skyline from Kinder Scout
The weather was stunning.  The few clouds around in the early morning soon burnt away leaving gorgeous blue skies for the whole day.  Fortunately I had some sunscreen with me.  I carried a whole two litres of water in my Camelbak bladder and also had a litre stashed halfway round at Mam Nick.  I was going to need it. The temperature was only around 14 degrees centigrade but it felt much warmer after the freezing weather we had over winter.  Shorts and tee shirt were the order of the day.  It was too nice not to take lots of photos.  The following photos are all taken on the route and face the direction of the runner.  Most of the photos will enlarge if clicked on.
Above Crookstone barn.  Win Hill in the distance.
Hope Cross looking towards Win Hill

Win Hill summit looking toward Lose Hill and Mam Tor
Climbing Lose Hill
Lose Hill summit looking towards Mam Tor and Lords Seat
Hollins Cross looking towards Mam Tor 
Mam Tor summit looking towards Lord's Seat on Rushup Edge

Crooked tree going up Rushup Edge
Turn right here (to the left if you see what I mean)
Brown Knoll summit looking towards Kinder Scout

Pym Chair
Wool Packs
Top of Grindsbrook Clough looking South back to Grindslow Knoll

I then ran past Ringing Roger where the official race drops down to the finish and continued along the top then dropped down Rowland Cote Moor to the youth hostel some 5 hours after I started.  A fine day out.  

P.S. In case you're wondering, I'm not running the actual race as I'm doing a recce of the Ambleside to Coniston section of the Lakeland 100 on the same day. 

No comments: